( Last updated on March 28 2020. Added links to State of Michigan Volunteer Website. )
My University, Oakland University, was among the first few in the state of Michigan to end face to face classes and move to fully online classes. We have also closed down all non-essential work and research in our laboratories and I have sent my students and staff to be at home.
This page contains information and links regarding the 2020 coronavirus outbreak derived from sound scientific sources. Some links are being organized here as well for my faculty colleagues to use to get to resources they may need for moving to completely online instruction as my own university (Oakland University).
- Official Volunteer Coordination State of Michigan Website (NEW March 28, 2020)
- Michigan COVID19 Cases and Fatalities for Each County, at the Bridge Magazine.
COVID-19 Disinfection and Cleaning Information Resources
- COVID-19 Disinfection and Cleaning Guide from the CDC
- List N: Disinfectants for Use Against SARS-CoV-2 at EPA: Note recommended application times, active ingredients, provided by the manufacturers.
Home and Community Preparation and Warnings: STAY AT HOME, SOCIAL DISTANCING
- Guide for home preparation from the US Centers for Disease Control
- From Harvard University: ‘Worry about 4 weeks from now,’ epidemiologist warns. Dr. Mitton recommends this article by Alvin Powell for those who want to understand the possible evolution of this disease in the the United States. If there is one article you read this week about coronavirus, this would be the one with information from Dr. Mark Lipsitch, Head Center for Communicable Disease Dynamics at Harvard University.
Resources for Full Online Instruction Transition: Faculty & Students
- Oakland University e-LIS Workshops (OU Faculty only) for using Moodle online class resources and online meeting platforms (Google Meet, Panopto, WebEx)
- Oakland University Chapter of the American Association of University Professors website: All OU Faculty and Students can check here for update on this situation. OaklandAAUP.org
- Oakland University Updates from OU Website
- OU-AAUP’s COVID19 Teaching Resources for OU Faculty WebPage (just up, 3/13/2020)
Information for Educators / Teachers
- The Coronavirus PCR Test. What is it, and how does it work? We have prepared a demonstration of how PCR works and how it works to test for the genetic sequence of the virus. YouTube videos, including drawing how it works from RNA extraction to seeing the test running in a Real-Time PCR instrument (Video 2). Good for science, chemistry, biology classes. Run in the Eye Research Institute of Oakland University. Questions? Msg me on Twitter. (DrKen) https://thesciencerant.blogspot.com/2020/03/what-is-coronavirus-test.html
- For Teachers and Educators and anyone: The math of why COVID19 overwhelms hospitals so quickly. Why this must be prevented through social distancing and staying home.